About Us | Kreidler Funeral Home, Inc.

History & Staff

We have years of experience caring for families, from all walks of life. Each family comes to us because they know we are leaders in our profession, dedicated to excellence in service, and have the highest integrity.

Our History

Kreidler Funeral Home, Inc. was founded in 1912 by Harry and Harriet Kreidler who were originally from Pennsylvania. They moved to the Rio Grande Valley from the Chicago area, where they had been "undertakers", because Harry had become ill and needed a warmer, dryer climate. The only other undertaker in the valley at that time was Hinkley Mortuary in Brownsville. Documentation was found stating that Harriet was the first licensed female embalmer in the state of Illinois.


In 1912, Harry had started the Kreidler Undertaking Co. in the back room of the Western Union office in the second block of S. Main St. in McAllen. He made his own caskets and had a horse drawn hearse. Business picked up and he moved into his own building on the east side of the street. Not long after, traffic became rather heavy on Main, so he bought a large lot on the corner of S. Broadway and Austin Ave. and built a new funeral home (now the IBC Bank parking lot).

Maynard L. Kreidler (2nd generation) moved to McAllen in 1912 and started selling casualty insurance and opened a car battery business in a small building on the alley behind what was the Valley Mercantile building. Harry asked Maynard to help out occasionally and he began doing more and more until 1928 when Maynard, Harry, and Harriet entered into a partnership together.


The business prospered and in 1930 a branch was opened in Mission on N. Conway. It was later sold. In 1933 a branch was opened in Edinburg, but after WWII it was sold to the Episcopal Church.

H. M. Kreidler (3rd Generation) met and married Sue Colly Kreidler in college and after graduation, went to Landig Mortuary Science School in Houston. In 1949, they returned to McAllen and joined his father in the funeral business.

Maynard L. Kreidler died in 1957 and H. M. became President of the corporation. In 1961, he moved the funeral home to it's current location. He purchased the Buescher house as well as his mother's house to the south and another family house to the north (both torn down). John Kreidler (4th Generation) came to work in the business in 1972 and his two older children, William and Gretchen, came to work in 2002 and 2005 as the 5th Generation Kreidler's to work in the family business.


Past Kreidler Generations 

Harry W. Kreidler 1854-1941
Harriet M. Kreidler 1862-1946
Maynard L. Kreidler 1889-1957
Mary J. Kreidler 1887-1982
H. Maynard Kreidler 1925
Sue Colly Kreidler 1928-1994

Our Valued Staff

John M.  Kreidler

John M. Kreidler, 4th Generation Funeral Director

Employed at Kreidler for over 35 years
Received his Funeral Directing and Embalming certificates from Commonwealth
College of Sciences


Kay  Kreidler

Kay Kreidler, Office Manager

Employed at Kreidler for over 20 years


William  Kreidler

William Kreidler, 5th Generation Funeral Director

Employed at Kreidler for over 5 years
Received his Funeral Directing certificate from Commonwealth


Edelmiro

Edelmiro "Eddie" Garza

Employed at Kreidler for over 34 years
Received his Funeral Directing and Embalming certificates from Commonwealth
College of Sciences


Joe Albert  Avila

Joe Albert Avila

Employed at Kreidler for over 25 years
Received his Funeral Directing and Embalming certificates from Commonwealth
College of Sciences


Lisa  Brand

Lisa Brand

Employed at Kreidler for 4 years.
Received her education from San Antonio College School of Mortuary Science